Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Almost All Natural Fall Wreath


I love fall. I love the cooler weather. I love the gorgeous colors. I love the crunch of the leaves and the fall aroma in the air as you're walking through the woods.


For some reason this fall I was all about using leaves as decorations. The  first thing I made was a wreath made almost entirely out of things you would find in the woods.

The first thing I did was collect a bunch of sticks. They have to be green which means that they are off the tree or just fell otherwise they won't be flexible enough. I cut any little tiny pieces of brands are coming off of the main branch off. Sometimes I wonder what normal people would think if they walked into my house while I was working on some of my projects. Why in the world would anyone have a pile of sticks laying on the floor?


Next I took one of the slightly larger branches and formed it into a circle attaching the two ends with a zip tie.


From there I just kept wrapping new branches around it, zip tying when needed.


I kept going until I decided it look just right.


I let it dry for a few days and then I took some less noticeable wire and replace the zip ties. After a while the branches will dry like that and it won't be necessary to have zip ties or wire holding. Since I wanted to use it pretty much immediately I left them on for now.

I had preserve some leaves in glycerin just for the this. Using a few small pieces of twigs that I had leftover from the wreath I got to work on my leaf decoration. I glued a few leads on to the main stick.


Then I started putting some small twigs over top and gluing leaves to those twigs.

This gave it a little more dimension then a single layer of leaves would have.


Then using a zip tie hidden behind the leaves I attached the decoration to the wreath. That way if I get bored with the decorations as they are now I can easily cut the zip tie off and reuse the wreath.
There you have it a almost free wreath made using things I found in my yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment