Thursday, March 19, 2015

Easter Wreath

I have no spring decorations. With the weather finally warming up I wanted some cheery things to put around the house. The first thing I made was a wreath. The wreath itself was no problem. It was the eggs I decided to make that took a little more time. If you aren't a cheapskate like me you could always buy some.

That is never my route. Alarms start going of in my head saying "you could make this so much cheaper.. and probably better too"

I started with the cheap plastic eggs. I thought about spray painting them but didn't have any the right color and wasn't buying any for the small amount I would need. Making acrylic paint thicker is pretty easy. You just take some hot water and dissolve cornstarch in it.


Then just add this concoction to your paint.

I put on three coats of paint. Here are the eggs after one coat..


And after three..


I was going for a giant birds egg kind of look. And the one solid color just wasn't enough. I diluted some paint into water and put it in a spray bottle.


Then all of the eggs got misted. I did this with two different shades.


They still weren't quite the look I was going for. So out came a toothbrush and paint for some speckles.


The wreath itself was easy. I just covered the form with brown Spanish moss. It looked like the start of a very circular birds nest.

After that it was just a matter of hot gluing on the eggs.


Now the door is all pretty for springs arrival tomorrow.

-Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment